Thursday 2 June 2011

Have you thought about the meaning of these terms??

There have been many examples in the media of phraseology newly coined, but the "Breastapo", and "Breastfeeding Nazi" expressions are the lowest of the low - not just because these phrases display a total lack of understanding of the tiny percentage of children breastfed past six months, of the ailments and problems this causes, and of all of the many and various people that are working very, very hard to alter this travesty - BUT, primarily to people like my friend Naomi, who feels such that she has asked me to post a letter that she wrote, recently.....
As the daughter of two German-Jewish refugees, I take great exception to the insulting way in which people attack breastfeeding counsellors who devote their time to helping mothers to breastfeed by referring to them as the 'Breastapo'. In comparing breastfeeding counsellors to members of the Gestapo, these people both weaken our horror at the actions of that organisation, and malign those who are concerned for the welfare of babies.
My heart goes out to anyone who wanted to breastfeed, but found it difficult - and didn't manage to find proper help. Breastfeeding difficulties are usually solvable. I have worked for La Leche League for more than twenty years and have seen mothers come through all kinds of physical and social difficulties. Any breastfeeding counsellor or lactation consultant would be glad to help a mother struggling to breastfeed. If these breastfeeding critics really knew about our work, they could hardly use this insult to describe us.
Naomi Stadlen
Author of What Mothers Do - especially when it looks like nothing
 Please consider the meaning of these terms.

3 comments:

  1. I was forced to wean by medical professionals at 8 months with my second (bc I was pregnant and the nurse said I'd have to stop) and 13 months (bc they wanted to test me for breast cancer and could not bc I was still nursing). I feel guilty for falling for their garbage and wish I had the sweet time with them that I do with my now 24 month old nursling. Thanks for the post. This gives mothers like me hope who are barraged by "we don't live in a 3rd world country, why on earth are you STILL doing THAT!" I am not alone, and hearing your voice gives me courage to stand up and answer, "I'm doing this bc it's best for my child." Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine - I am so sorry that you were misinformed by medical professionals about weaning. So many women are told similar untruths; hopefully, with the dissemination of information throughout the media, women can help other women! I am so, so heartened by hearing that you are enjoying nursing you 24 month old - how beautiful and touching. And, thank you! How happy I am to know that I have made a tiny, weeny difference to one person!

      Delete